31% Of Irish Consumers Have Bought Groceries Online
Published on Jul 21 2014 3:45 PM
Almost a third (31%) of Irish consumers have shopped for their groceries online, according to the latest Consumer Insights survey from Empathy Research.
Of 992 participants, there was little difference between male and female respondents, with 34% women and 27% of men saying they have shopped online.
Younger age groups were found to be more likely to have ordered groceries online than older shoppers. 35% of 18-34 year olds and 46% of 35-44 year olds said they had ordered groceries online before, compared to 28% of 45-54 year olds and 19% of 55+ year olds.
Dubliners appear to be more tech savvy when it comes to grocery shopping, with more than two fifths (42%) of respondents in the capital having ordered groceries online before, which is notably higher than all the other regions; rest of Leinster (30%), Munster (25%) and Connacht/Ulster (24%).
Interestingly, over two-thirds (69%) of Irish consumers have never shopped for groceries online, with 40% of these shoppers citing not being able to pick out their own produce as the main reason they have not ordered their groceries online. More women (44%) than men (36%) were of this opinion.
Of those consumers who never shop online, over a third mentioned that they like the ‘bricks and mortar’ shopping experience (36%) and prefer to shop local (34%). While 11% said that they don’t like shopping online, 9% cited delivery times as an issue that deterred them and 9% said it involved too much planning. Planning for online groceries was a bigger deterrent for women (12% vs. 6% males). In addition, under 55s said that they find it harder to arrange delivery times that suit them; more than any other age group; 18-34 (12%), 35-44 (12%), 45-54 (12%) and 55+ (5%).
When asked if they would prefer groceries delivered to their door or for store collection when ordering online, 88% specified delivery to their door with the remaining 12% preferring to order their groceries in-store for collection.
Click here for more information from Empathy Research.
© 2014 - Checkout Magazine by Genna Patterson