This back-to-school season Donegal Catch has added two new products for all the family to enjoy, including Wholegrain Fish Fillets and Omega Fish Fingers.
Naturally high in protein and a great source of Omega 3, the latest additions to the Donegal Catch range allow for nutritious, quick, and easy lunch or dinner options for the school term ahead.
Increase Fish Consumption
Working closely with fish suppliers to bring great tasting fish and supporting responsible fishing practices, Donegal Catch is encouraging Irish households across the country to eat at least two portions of fish a week this back-to-school season, with the help of top tips from dietician and mum, Orla Walsh, along with quick and tasty recipes that are easy to prepare for all the family to enjoy available from www.donegalcatch.ie/recipes/.
The return to routine is the perfect time for families to start new healthy eating habits at the dinner table.
The Donegal Catch frozen fish range is the perfect time-saver addition this back to school season, removing food prep, reducing food waste, and encouraging families to increase their weekly consumption of fish, without having to compromise on taste.
Freezer essentials for the busy months ahead, the latest additions to the Donegal Catch range are available now in supermarkets nationwide;
Donegal Catch Wholegrain Fish Fillets – RRP - €5.50 X 4 Fillets
Donegal Catch simply catch the freshest fish, fillet them, and have added a new light coating of a wholegrain crumb, making them ready to be enjoyed by all the family.
Conveniently prepared, just pop them in the oven from frozen to produce a tasty meal in minutes.
High in protein and a source of Omega, the range is free from artificial colours, preservatives, and flavours.
Donegal Catch Omega Fish Fingers – RRP - €2.50
Whether it’s a quick tea-time dinner or a yummy fish finger sandwich, Donegal Catch Omega Fish Fingers will suit all ages.
Made with 100% fish fillet, wrapped in a crispy golden crumb it’s a great way to introduce fish to the family that are high in omega 3, high in protein with no artificial colours, preservatives, or flavours.
Donegal Catch Atlantic Salmon – RRP - €11.99 X 4 Fillets
A family favourite and part of the existing Donegal Catch range, the Donegal Catch Atlantic Salmon, is naturally high in protein, omega 3, and vitamins B12 and D.
Versatile and perfect for busy households, save the cooking prep time with these salmon fillets that are ready to cook from frozen with no need to defrost.
Perfect for fish lovers who prefer natural or un-coated fish fillets, these Atlantic fillets are fresh frozen, prepared, filleted, and deboned.
Orla Walsh Nutrition Tips
As the new school year comes around, returning to routine can be a busy time for families, Donegal Catch has teamed up Orla Walsh to share top tips on how to put your best plate forward for all the family this back-to-school season.
From essential vitamins and minerals, including protein and omega 3 for busy school goers, healthy meal planning, to simple ways of getting more fish on the plate, Orla’s top tips include;
- Two Portions - Bord Bia and the Irish Heart Foundation, recommend that we should all aim to eat fish at least 2 times a week, with one portion being oily fish such as salmon. The reasons are plentiful. Fish is a wonderfully nutritious food offering up an array of nutrients important for reaching full health. The sea can provide nutrients that aren’t regularly offered by land, so ensuring we eat fish regularly can help us meet the requirements set out by our body.
- Protein - All fish provides protein, our muscles and bones are active tissues meaning they are constantly breaking down and rebuilding. Feeding your body enough protein throughout the day is incredibly important in helping to maintain or grow these tissues, especially in younger children.
- Omega 3 - Fish, particularly oily fish, provides omega 3 fats. The omega 3 found in fish is called eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). It is different to the omega 3 found in plants. Our body can’t make it so it relies on us eating it. EPA and DHA are required for the normal function of the heart, which I think you’ll agree is important!
- Vitamin D - Fish can provide Vitamin D which is important for our bones and teeth as well as our immune system. Vitamin D is known as the “sunshine vitamin” as our bodies make it when sunlight hits our skin. Unfortunately, we can rarely make enough Vitamin D to meet our daily needs. There are very few food sources of vitamin D, in fact, oily fish is the main natural source of this important nutrient.
- Vitamin B12 - Fish provides Vitamin B12. Keeping kids happy, healthy, and energised when they attending school is a must. Vitamin B12 contributes to normal psychological function, immune function, and the reduction of tiredness and fatigue.
- Minerals - Fish provides iodine which contributes to the normal growth of children alongside other nutrients such as protein. Fish and dairy are our main food sources of iodine in the Irish diet.
- Time Saver - Back to school time requires time saver options! Frozen, already prepared fish can help save time by removing food prep. So rest assured, frozen fish is sitting in your freezer, ready and waiting patiently to be used. Thankfully high-quality frozen fish is fully traceable back to the fishing boats, providing even more reassurance.
- Routine - Back to school time means back to routine for the entire family. What perfect timing to try to bring new healthy rituals into your weekly lives. Whether its fish with chips on Fridays and salmon cakes, salmon stir fry, or pesto prawn pasta mid-week, this is an ideal time to get the entire family off to a healthy start with healthy fish habits!
- Cost - Another barrier to eating more fish is the perception of cost. The great news is that frozen fish, especially when frozen at source, is a wonderfully healthy option that is often more affordable making it an ideal choice for weekly shopping lists all year round.
- Preparation is Key - Research suggests more people would eat fish regularly if they knew how to prepare meals. This is why baking fish such as Donegal Catch, is so ideal for many families. It’s super quick to prepare and, limited cooking skills are required, leaving little to no cooking aromas or dishes to wash!
© 2021 Checkout – your source for the latest Irish retail news. Article by Conor Farrelly. Click sign up to subscribe to Checkout.