Nine finalists were visited by judges over the last three months for the NDC and Kerrygold Quality Milk Awards and the winner will be announced at the awards ceremony in Dublin on 3rd October.
The awards recognise standards of excellence in dairy farming, with dairy co-operatives throughout the country invited to nominate their top suppliers.
The judges for this year’s awards are Dr Jack Kennedy, Dairy Editor of the Irish Farmers Journal, Professor Pat Wall from UCD and, Dr David Gleeson from Teagasc. Chef and food writer Clodagh McKenna is once again Food Ambassador for the 2018 awards.
“Our work in the NDC is really made possible because of the high quality of Irish milk and dairy produce available to consumers here, produced from top quality farms, off grassland,” Zoe Kavanagh, CEO of the NDC.
“The standard as always was incredibly high this year showcasing the passion and dedication of Ireland’s top farming families.”
As part of the judging process, judges carried out detailed assessments based on submitted nomination forms and technical reports which spanned a full 12-month period.
From this, a short-list of finalists was made, and the judges arranged to visit each farm for an inspection over the summer months.
“The nine shortlisted dairy farms were put through intensive scrutiny involving rigorous analysis of milk quality reports and technical data spanning a full 12-month period and included an inspection of their farms by the judges, which allowed us to get insights into the farm’s practices around areas such as milking routine, animal welfare, and sustainability” said Professor Pat Wall.
“All of the finalists clearly demonstrated excellent standards in food production. They are leaders in their industry and showcase the utmost standards in sustainability, hygiene, animal welfare and quality.”
The shortlisted finalists are;
- Tom, Mary & Michael Ryan Lisheen Lower Moyne, Thurles, Co. Tipperary
Nominated by Centenary Thurles
- John O'Shaughnessy, Ballynolan, Kildimo, Co. Limerick
Nominated by Kerry Agribusiness
- Liam and Dolores O'Donovan, Clohane, Skibbereen, Co. Cork
Nominated by Drinagh
- Else Furney, Ballinagaragh, Kilbrittain, Bandon, Co. Cork
Nominated by Barryroe Co Op
- Tim and Dan Crowley, Careys Cross, Clancoolbeg, Bandon, Co. Cork
Nominated by Bandon Co Op
- Kevin Downing, Parkduv Farm Ltd, Farranastig, Whitechurch, Co. Cork
Nominated by Dairygold Co Op
- John Patrick Keating & Family, Crobally, Old Parish, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford
Nominated by Glanbia Ireland
- Darren McKenna, Derrygasson Farms Ltd, Derrygasson, Emyvale, Co. Monaghan
Nominated by Lacpatrick Dairies
- John McTiernan, Mullaghavorneen, Co. Longford
Nominated by Aurivo
© 2018 Checkout – your source for the latest Irish retail news. Article by Aidan O’Sullivan. Click subscribe to sign up for the Checkout print edition.