Subscribe Login
Retail Intelligence

Nielsen Reports Rise In Irish Grocery Spending

Irish consumer spending on everyday grocery items such as food, drinks and toiletries has increased year on year for the fifth consecutive quarter, according to Nielsen’s latest report on retail performance data.

The volume of fast-moving consumer goods purchased in Ireland rose 1.3% year-on-year. The average prices paid for those goods also rose 1.3%, resulting in a total 2.6% of takings at the tills for grocery retailers—the fourth highest figure since Nielsen began measuring this data almost eight years ago.

Of the 21 European countries measured, the Irish market had the fifth highest figures, outperforming Europe as a whole (0.8% rise) and the UK (-1.6% decline). The UK’s decline is its worst performance in nearly two years.

The highest growth in takings at the till was in Turkey (+8.9%) while the lowest was in Greece (-7.2%). Of the big five western European markets, Spain had the highest growth, of 2.1%.

© 2016 - Checkout Magazine by Donncha Mac Cóil

Stay Connected With Our Weekly Newsletter

Processing your request...

Thanks! please check your email to confirm your subscription.

By signing up you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days
Enjoy full access to Checkout Magazine, our weekly email news digest, access to all website and app content, and the latest digital magazine for a full 30 days.
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days
Enjoy full access to Checkout Magazine, our weekly email news digest, access to all website and app content, and the latest digital magazine for a full 30 days.
Enjoy unlimited digital access for 30 days