Retail Intelligence

Did You Know?, December 10, 2013

By Publications Checkout
Did You Know?, December 10, 2013


 Did you know… Unilever plans to cut the number of SKUs in its portfolio by 30% by the close of next year? The Anglo-Dutch FMCG giant also plans to cut approximately 2,000 jobs from its global workforce, Unilever chief executive Paul Polman confirmed at the weekend. "The global economy has calibrated down about 1-1.5 percent and we probably should've done a better job seeing it coming," Polman said, adding that Unilever has "lost its competitiveness" in many of its core markets. Picture courtesy DFID.

Did you know… Aldi is set to take legal action against Dunnes Stores? The discounter is suing its rival over the use of its name and prices in a recent Dunnes marketing campaign. Aldi maintains that Dunnes infringed on its trademark by comparing prices in its ads that were not presented as a like-for-like comparison. Last year, Aldi also brought a similar case against Tesco last year, which the discounter won.

Did you know… Suntory Beverage & Food, the new owner of Lucozade and Ribena, is reportedly set to hold off on making any further acquisitions until next year? In an interview with Bloomberg, Suntory chief Nobuhiro Torii said that he felt the company did not have the "capacity or ability to pursue another opportunity at this point."

Did you know… NFRN Ireland has voiced its disapproval at carriage charge increases from EM News Distribution? The carriage charge is to be increased by 6.5% due to “unprecedented trading conditions”, a measure which NFRN Ireland president Joe Sweeney says is “totally unacceptable”. He added: “EM News says it is affected by unprecedented trading conditions, but what about the unprecedented trading conditions facing NFRN Ireland members? This is a sector which has seen thousands of shop closures and many thousands of job losses. Once again a wholesaler is taking the easy option and imposing a carriage charge increase on retailers who, through no fault of their own, are unable to pass the rise onto their customers."


Did you know… The Alltech International Craft Brews & Food Fair will return in February 2014? The event will welcome Ireland trade exhibitors, up to 50 breweries, world renowned beer judges, and international trade professionals, as well as food pairing experts, who will come together for three days of learning, networking and entertainment. The event takes place on February 7th and 8th at The Convention Centre Dublin. For more information visit 

Did you know… Former Tesco executive Tim Mason, who led the retailer's ill-fated Fresh & Easy venture in the US, has said that he wishes he had been given more time with the project? "Fresh & Easy was a great idea, and people who worked there, and the customers who went there, loved it," he told the Daily Telegraph. "In different economic circumstances I'm very sure it could have been a success. […] Yes, I would have liked more time...but I couldn't have expected longer given the global circumstances that Tesco found itself in."

Did you know… Farmer co-op Wexford Creamery has approved the sale of its business to Glanbia? Wexford Milk Producers members voted to sell their 70% of the business to Glanbia, and buy the remaining 30% of the creamery from UK processor Dairy Crest. The deal must still be approved by Ireland’s competition watchdog. CEO of Glanbia Ingredients Ireland, Jim Bergin, said “Subject to Competition Authority approval we hope to complete the transaction in quarter one 2014, which will allow us to work in partnership with Wexford to optimise the opportunities presented by milk quota abolition and to build a sustainable business for all concerned into the future.”

Did you know… Spar and Eurospar chains have signed new contracts with Insomnia and Tim Horton's? The deal will see the coffee offering of both rolled out to 30 stores next year, in an investment worth €360,000. BWG Foods made the announcement following the news that sales of hot beverages are up at its Spar and Eurospar outlets by close to a third (31%) over the past four years. The company is predicting revenue from hot beverages to grow from €19 million to €23 million over the next 12 months.

Did you know… Agriculture Minister Simon Coveney has paid his first official visit to the Nestlé-owned Wyeth Nutrition infant formula plant in Askeaton, Co. Limerick? The plant has a capacity of almost 50,000 tonnes of infant nutrition product per year with in excess of 75% of output exported outside the EU to significant markets in Asia, the Middle East & Africa. Askeaton is the global R&D centre for the Wyeth Nutrition infant formula business.


© 2013 - Checkout Magazine by Stephen Wynne-Jones

{loadposition ri10122013}

Stay Connected With Our Weekly Newsletter

Processing your request...

Thanks! please check your email to confirm your subscription.