Retail Intelligence

Three Quarters Of Adults Will Buy An Easter Egg This Easter

By Donna Ahern
Three Quarters Of Adults Will Buy An Easter Egg This Easter

Three quarters (75%) of adults will buy an Easter egg this Easter, with those aged 35-44 (82%) most likely to purchase. Recent research on behalf of Retail Intelligence by Empathy Research, amongst a nationally representative sample of 1,067 adults aged 18+, sought to understand consumer behaviour in relation to Easter egg purchase and the role retailer offers play in persuading consumers where to purchase their eggs.

Amongst the three quarters of adults who will purchase an Easter egg this Easter, almost half (49%) have already purchased an egg, with females (57%) and those aged 35-44 (56%) more likely to have done so. For the remainder, 3 in 10 (30%), claim they will purchase their eggs this coming weekend, with a further 15% likely to purchase at the start of Easter week. There is a small proportion (6%) who claim they will purchase their eggs on Good Friday and Easter Saturday. For non-purchasers, key motivations for not purchasing this year centre on not liking Easter eggs (30%), and trying to cut down on sugar (26%) and chocolate (22%).

There is a high degree of loyalty evident amongst shoppers when it comes to where they will buy their Easter eggs with just over 8 in 10 (82%) Easter egg buyers claiming they will purchase them in a shop where they usually do their grocery shopping. This leaves just 18% claiming that they will go to a store they don’t typically visit for weekly grocery shopping to get their Easter Eggs. For this cohort, Debenhams and Marks & Spencer are a more likely source of purchase, with Lidl and Aldi both underperforming amongst those who are likely to purchase eggs outside of the shop they usually use for their weekly shopping. Offers (59%) are the main motivation in persuading shoppers to purchase outside of their usual store, with range (38%) also a significant factor.

For further information and more in-depth analysis in relation to consumer behaviour at Easter, please contact Robbie Clarke at Empathy Research: r[email protected]


Stay Connected With Our Weekly Newsletter

Processing your request...

Thanks! please check your email to confirm your subscription.