Get the app today! App Store Play Store

Sainsbury's CEO Simon Roberts Says Focus Is On Strategy, Not Takeover Frenzy

Published on Jul 6 2021 9:18 AM in Retail tagged: Featured Post / Sainsburys / Morrisons / Featured Posts

Sainsbury's CEO Simon Roberts Says Focus Is On Strategy, Not Takeover Frenzy

The boss of Sainsbury's refused to be drawn on whether Britain's second largest supermarket group could become part of the fevered takeover activity gripping the sector, saying his focus was on delivering the strategy.

"I'm not going to speculate on where things are in the wider sector," CEO Simon Roberts told reporters in reference to three suitors pursuing rival Morrisons.

"We're very focused on our plan. We laid out a (strategic) plan in November to really deliver improvements for our customers and improve the value that we can create for our shareholders," he said after Sainsbury's updated on first quarter trading.

"We're only seven months into that (plan) but I hope you can see in the results that we've announced today some good early momentum."

Sainsbury's Sales Increase 

Shares in Sainsbury's are up 23% so far this year, buoyed by bid speculation after Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky raised his stake to just under 10% and Morrisons agreed a takeover bid.

Asked directly if Sainsbury's board had received any approaches, Roberts said: "If we had anything to update on, we'd be updating on it, so we've nothing to update you on."

News by Reuters edited by Donna Ahern, Checkout. For more Retail news click here. Click subscribe to sign up for the Checkout print edition.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn Share via Email