Subscribe Login

FSAI Advises Recall Of Mussels Over Toxin Concerns

By Publications Checkout
FSAI Advises Recall Of Mussels Over Toxin Concerns

The Food Safety Authority of Ireland has advised of a food recall of fresh mussels supplied from Wednesday of this week to some stores across Ireland, as they may contain harmful levels of diarrhetic shellfish poisoning (DSP) toxins.

The mussels were harvested from Roaringwater Bay, Cork on Monday and Tuesday of this week and were sold in loose and in bags at fresh fish counters in some retail outlets.

While they have now been removed, the mussels were available from the following stores; loose in some Dunnes Stores outlets with a use-by date of 21.08.2015, and some SuperValu outlets in 2kg and 5kg bags with a use-by date of 22.08.2015.

They were also sold in Beshoffs, West Pier, Howth, Dublin, in 1kg bags with a use-by date of 20.08.2015.

The same mussels were on sale in Dublin in Doron’s West Pier, Howth; Kish Fish, Malahide Road, Coolock and Kish Fish, Bow Street, Smithfield.

In Cork, the implicated mussels were available in Glenmar, Union Hall, Normandy Ireland and O’Driscoll’s in Schull, Baltimore Fresh Fish, Baltimore, and Bantry Central Fish, and as well as in Morgan’s Fine Fish, Omeath, Louth.

Other outlets in which the mussels have been available are J&C Fish and Morgans Fish Stand, both in Dundalk, Co. Louth, Keoghs Fish Shop, New Quay, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary and Seacatch Retail Fish Stand, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.

The FSAI is warning consumers who may have the mussels to check with the store where they purchased them and not to eat them if they are implicated in this recall.

According to Dr Pamela Byrne, Chief Executive, FSAI it is important that consumers who may have bought the implicated mussels not to consume them.

“Cooking does not destroy this toxin. Eating contaminated mussels could cause diarrhetic shellfish poisoning,” she explained.

“Symptoms are diarrhoea, nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain which can start between 30 minutes to a few hours after ingestion. Complete recovery occurs within a number of days. Consumers who may have already consumed this product and are feeling unwell should seek medical advice.”

[Photo courtesy of Franco Folini, 2012]

© 2015 - Checkout Magazine by Jenny Whelan.

Stay Connected With Our Weekly Newsletter

Processing your request...

Thanks! please check your email to confirm your subscription.