Spar’s Christmas 2012 ad campaign was named the Best Advertising Campaign (Broadcast) of the past year at the 2013 Checkout National FMCG Awards, at the Four Seasons Hotel, Dublin, on Friday.
The annual awards, hosted by Checkout magazine, acknowledge excellence in new product development, best-in-class merchandising and sales support, and innovation in advertising and marketing.
The Spar campaign, which was developed by Publicis and featured vocals by musicians Jape and Gemma Hayes, saw off competition from Galaxy (for its commercial featuring actress Audrey Hepburn), Club Orange (The Ultimate Wingman) and Brady Family (I Ham), to take the award.
Stephen Wynne-Jones, editor, Checkout, commented: “The standard of the nominations in all categories indicates the level of innovation and originality when it comes to brand marketing in today’s highly competitive retail environment.”
Other advertising campaigns that earned awards at the event, included Aldi’s ‘100% Irish’ brochure campaign, winners in the Best Advertising Campaign (Print) category, National Lottery’s Daily Million campaign, winners in the Best Advertising Campaign (Outdoor) category, and Cadbury Dairy Milk’s ‘Joyville Tree’, a viral campaign centred around an installation at Dublin’s St Anne’s Park, in the Best Advertising Campaign (Online/Digital) category.
There were 21 awards presented in total at the annual event, which brought together some of the top marketing executives from both the FMCG (fast moving consumer goods) and retail industries.
Judges included Ken Hughes (Glacier Consulting), Joe Wilde (Ground 4D), Martha Fanning (Behaviour & Attitudes), Conor Hyde (Bullseye Food Marketing), Declan Carolan (ECR Ireland), Nicola de Beer (FMI), Stephen Vard (The Vard Partnership), Eoghan Phelan (Visualise), Tom Shipsey (Stonehouse Marketing), Kay McCarthy (MCCP), Jenny Maybury (Category Solutions) and David Berry (Kantar Worldpanel).
Kenco’s tie-up with designer Orla Kiely earned the brand the Best Sponsorship/Brand Association (By An FMCG Brand) Award, while SuperValu was commended for its sponsorship of the GAA Football Championship, winning the Best Sponsorship/Brand Asssociation (By A Retailer/Symbol Group) category.
Elsewhere, Coca-Cola HBC Ireland, on the back of its successful ‘Share a Coke with…’ initiative, won the award for Branded Supplier of the Year (Food & Beverage), with Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard, owners of Jameson, honoured with the award for Branded Supplier of the Year (Alcohol).
The annual Checkout Brand Legacy Award, which commemorates a brand that celebrated a particular milestone in 2013, was awarded to Cadbury Dairy Milk, which this year commemorates 80 years of chocolate production at its facility in Coolock.
Event sponsors included RTE Media Sales, Brandbank, Heineken Ireland, Clear Channel and Nielsen.
A full list of winners and finalists is presented below.
More info: For further information, photographs, or more details about the Checkout National FMCG Awards, contact Stephen Wynne-Jones, editor, Checkout, at 01 2365 833, or email [email protected]
1. Best Merchandising and In-Store SupportWinnerMolson Coors IrelandFinalistsKellogg Company of IrelandBritvic Ireland
2. Best Green Supplier / Most Eco-Friendly SupplierWinnerDonnelly Fresh FoodsFinalistsCountry CrestKeelings
3. Best Shopper Marketing CampaignWinnerGreen Isle Foods FinalistsCadbury Dairy Milk Marvellous CreationsM&Ms: Kiss Me I’m Irish
4. Best Product RelaunchWinnerClubFinalistsBud LightLily O’Brien’s
5. Best Sales Team / Field Sales SupportWinnerFlanagan’s FoodsFinalistsBirds EyeBarry & Fitzwilliam
6. Best Logistics Provider / Third Party DistributorWinnerPRL GroupFinalistsCold MoveColdcut Logistics
7. Best Charitable Initiative By A Supplier/RetailerWinnerLidl & BarretstownFinalistsCentra Action Breast Cancer CampaignBewleys: Ireland’s Biggest Coffee Morning – 20th anniversaryDiageo Ireland: Gifted
8. Most Improved BrandWinnerInnocent DrinksFinalistsMiWadiAndrex
9. Best New Product Launch (Beverage) WinnerTropicana Trop 50FinalistsStella Artois CidreMolson CanadianRed Bull Red, Blue & Silver Edition
10. Best New Product Launch (Non-Food)WinnerPersil Small & Mighty RelaunchFinalistsJohn Player Blue MYOLynx Apollo
11. Best New Product Launch (Food)WinnerMaltesers TeasersFinalistsFusion And StreetWrigleys Extra BubblemintCadbury Crispello
12. Best Sponsorship By A Retailer / Symbol GroupWinnerSuperValu: GAA Football ChampionshipFinalistsTesco: Coronation Street (TV3)Lidl: Mum of The YearMace: Local Heroes (RTE)
13. Best Sponsorship / Brand Association (by an FMCG Brand)WinnerKenco: Orla KielyFinalistsKellogg’s: GAA Cúl CampsHennessy: Ireland’s Blue Book Pepsi: Beyonce World Tour
14. Best Advertising Campaign (Outdoor) WinnerNational Lottery: Daily MillionFinalistsCuisine De France: Baguette StChicago Town/Dr Oetker: Opinionator
15. Best Advertising Campaign (Print)WinnerAldi 100% Irish Meat CampaignFinalistsEurospar ‘Feel Good’ Brochure CampaignHB ‘Tastes Like…’
16. Best Advertising Campaign (Online/Digital) WinnerCadbury Dairy Milk: The Joyville TreeFinalists7-Up: What Uplifts Your Summer?Lyons: Bring The Talk HomeCoors Light: The Great Rocky Mountain Game
17. Best Advertising Campaign (Broadcast/TV/Radio) WinnerSpar: Christmas FinalistsGalaxy: Audrey HepburnClub Orange: The Ultimate WingmanBrady Family: I Ham
18. Branded Supplier of the Year (Alcohol)WinnerIrish Distillers Pernod RicardFinalistsHeineken IrelandBarry & Fitzwilliam 19. Branded Supplier of the Year (Non-Food)WinnerL’OrealFinalistsUnileverSCA Hygiene
20. Branded Supplier of the Year (Food & Beverage)WinnerCoca-Cola HBC IrelandFinalistsDanone Baby Nutrition GleniskMoy Park
21. Checkout Brand Legacy Award WinnerCadbury: 80 Years In IrelandFinalistsSpar: 50th AnniversaryNescafé: 75th Anniversary
© 2013 - Checkout Magazine by Stephen Wynne-Jones